press release critique

Jaime E . Villate villate at fe.up.pt
Fri May 4 12:59:43 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 06:21:33AM +0800, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Instead I think we should make as much money as possible with free software,
> by that way we can:
>
> 1. develop more free software and make even more money
> 2. there is too much money spend in proprietary software, spending this
> money in free software could ensure even more free software
>
> As long as this is GPL, this should not be problem. We can not probably say
> the same using the LGPL that can pervert the process.

Agreed. But please don't say publicly "we should make as much money as
possible with free software", which is the mean to attain the goal, but rather
state clearly the goal: "develop more free software".

If you make the first statement in front of a journalist, he will quickly
twist it into saying that you want to have a Ferrari and the way of living of
the rich and famous, which is not your goal.

Jaime