Belgium

Xavier Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Thu May 3 09:19:12 UTC 2001

El Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:31:57PM +0200, Georg C. F. Greve deia:

> The reason for the formal chapters was not only the language issue,
> but also a legal point. For charitable status most countries want to
> have a local organization, so we need the country-specific
> organization form.

I can see sense in that. Let's have formal chapters where there are
goals to accomplish. One for state, or one for country, or for shire
or for any region where is a task to be done, people willing to do it
and does not result in too many chapters.

> One of the principles of the FSF Europe is to increase coordination
> and communication between the countries. Too much localized
> communication will reduce this benefit.
>
> Just imagine there would be a German, French, Spanish, Portugese,
> Swedish, Italian and English version of this list. We would have to
> translate every single posting into six languages in order to
> establish communication among us.

I think lists should not be based on language in principle. Part of the
freedom of speech is choosing the language one speaks in. So nobody should
be surprised to see multilingual lists. I don't know much Italian or French,
so I wouldn't join a list that requires to post in Italian or French,
but I can understand some of it, so I'd like to be in a list where I can
see messages in any language. I won't understand messages in German, but
that is no problem, I'll simply ignore them, or guess their meaning. I think
Europe is very multilingual, and people have different degrees of competence
in many languages. Seeing messages in unknown languages is just a way to
start knowing them, so I am against imposing a single language on any list.
There is no need to translate every message to 20 languages, simply to
translate public notices, press releases, web pages, etc. and
ignore messages in a language that you don't understand. Translating every
message you write to even only one language is a pain. Ignoring a message
in an unknown language is easy.

Of course if several people from one place set up a list to discuss issues
relating to that place (or about translations to one language), it is very
likely that the languages used in that
list will be those used in that place (or the language to translate to),
and people that don't understand
those languages will probably not join, but this should be an emergent
phenomenon, not an a priori requirement or organising principle.

--
Xavier Drudis Ferran
xdrudis at tinet.org