warranty

Werner Koch koch at fsfeurope.org
Thu May 3 09:28:26 UTC 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, João Miguel Neves wrote:

> I think you're right on this. I've been told that here in Portugal only
> the only way to avoid having to provide warranty protection is to put
> the software in public domain (note: I never confirmed this). If this is

There is no 'Public Domain' in most European legislations.  This is
a term from the U.S. copryright law and not applicable elsewhere.

I recently read an article (by Axel?) about this and the bottomline
is that you are only responsible for damages caused by software you
offered gratis if you deliberately caused this damage (e.g. by
distributing trojans) - this is pretty obvious and the same thing
as in 'real' life.  This is not the same as a warranty.

Putting a software on a public FTP server is therefore no problem.

ciao,

  Werner