press release critique

Stefan Meretz stefan.meretz at hbv.org
Wed May 2 11:50:18 UTC 2001

> MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>
> > > And this is exactly what Eric Raymond in his propaganda says (see
> > > the magic cauldron:
> > > http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/magic-cauldron/).
> > Open-source's poster boy arguing against making money from Free
> > software?  Surely not?  Time from me to go reread that one, I guess.
>
> Do you wish to refer to any particular part of this publication?  Just
> citing it is rather like waving one's arm at an unordered dictionary
> to justify a word definition.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. ESR _is_ arguing for making money from free
software. I refer to chapter 9 "Indirect Sale-Value Models",
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/magic-cauldron/x227.html
All these models base on making things (or services etc.) scarce. And scarcity and freedom
are a contradiction.

Due to time limitations I will respond not to all replies, but in a more general note.
Tomorrow, I hope...

I feel: this could be an essential point for the future of free software.

Thanks,
Stefan

--
  Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft / HBV
  HA II, Abteilung Datenverarbeitung
  mailto:stefan.meretz at hbv.org
  maintaining: http://www.hbv.org
  see also: http://www.verdi-net.de