press release critique

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Wed May 2 09:35:18 UTC 2001

stefan.meretz at hbv.org said:
> GPL says that it is allowed to take a fee for distributing free
> software, however this is only a means to balance some expenditure --
> not the goal!

I think you are adding a slant against making money, but I interpret the GPL as indifferent against making money. I also believe that this indifference is important. When there is a slant towards making money, it is tempting to corrupt the principle of freedom, when there is a slant against it you will not only scare off people who work with software for their living, but also risk restricting the mode of distribution of free software.

- Josef