On mail problems

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Tue Mar 27 14:58:18 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

I wanted to inform you about the reason & solution for the latest mail
problems that several of you have probably already noticed.

If you remember the beginning of the year, I was forced to zones I had
registered (including fsfeurope.org) away from ID-PRO as the company
crumbled quickly and it was apparently only a matter of days until the
nameservers there would become unavailable. So I asked around who
could provide DNS-capabilities and Derek Neighbors (GNU Enterprise)
offered to use the servers at libertydistribution.com. We quickly made
the switch and I considered the problem solved until we would have our
own machines.

Unfortunately it seems the company is currently doing some
restructuring/moving and noone warned me. So when Qwest accidentally
cut a cable, all the zones (including Derek's gnue.org, by the way)
became unresolvable.

When I became aware of the problem, I talked to Derek and he tried to
solve things asap. Today it became clear that things would have to be
changed with the NIC, as the nameservers of libertydistribution.com
have changed to other IP-addresses.

I spent the last hour moving all zones the GNU nameserver as the
master and asked the admin of libertydistribution to make their
servers slaves of that one. Also I asked my domain bank to make the
NIC change asap. This should not happen again, though, because once
the changes are through, we'll have three geographically separated
servers. The change will probably take several days to become active
(maybe even more than a week), though.

So I asked the admin at ld.com to get one of the old ones back on-line
temporarily for the next days until those changes could be performed.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and annoyance this causes, I did what
I could to solve the problem but right now it's not in my hands... it
seems there is nothing more I can do at the moment.

Regards,
                Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                       <greve at gnu.org>