Off-topic on EU vs. Europe (Re: [EUFSF] Re: Logo again.)

Ole Aamot oka at student.matnat.uio.no
Wed Mar 21 10:40:17 UTC 2001

* "David Blane" <david at pigstick.freeserve.co.uk>
| From a Scottish point of view, I must disassociate myself and the
| majority of my compatriots from this sentiment.  A hugely popular
| view is that we're Scottish and European, and only then British.  (I
| get the impression that this, like most "prevailing climates"
| perceived as British, actually represents a sample of some part of
| London or its suburbs.)

I have absolutely no opinion on what the logo for the new FSF Europe
organisation should be, but I will recommend the lecture "We are not
against Europe.  We are against Norwegian membership in the European
Union" by Professor Emeritus Kristen Nygaard.

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~kristen/POLITIKKDOK_MAPPE/P_EU_Munchen_eng.html

Nygaard was the leader of the Norwegian People's Movement "Nei til EU"
(No to EU) in 1994 and one of the two original designers of the Simula
language [*] in the 1960s.

| However, the criteria for joining the superstate are very well defined,
| politically and economically, and the FSFE should not appear to
| endorse those conditions to the detriment of alternatives perhaps
| favoured by non-EU European nations.

Well put.

-- Ole

[*] GNU Cim was written and maintained by Sverre Hvammen Johansen, who
is also very outspoken against the European Union.