forwarding of e-mails not illegal after all... (fwd)

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnu.org
Wed Mar 14 12:27:26 UTC 2001

From: "Stefano Maffulli" <smaffulli at inwind.it>
> The Italian association SoftwareLibero.org sent an open letter to the SIAE
> asking to explain officially the contradicting law especially with the
> issues related to Free Software and Copylefted works. I think that only
> discussing with them (the SIAE) we can clear out what is the meaning of the
> law.

Unfortunately, I don't think the SIAE isn't the one which applies the
law.  It's an association of authors and publishers that has been
elected by law as official representative of all authors. It is,
therefore, a parasitic organization that raises money from all
copyrighted work and distributes part of it to supposed authors (and
uses most of it su keep itself alive).

While I think the open letter is a good initiative, SIAE people can't
give the definite answer. The letter is good because it can publicly
show that even the ones who collect money don't know why and when they
collect it. It could show how crappy the law is, not how to behave
to be good citizens.

This is only my personal opinion, I read the letter but didn't
participate in the discussion that made it happen (well, I also talked
with SIAE officiers and lawyers, and know how inadequate those
officiers are).

/alessandro
--
Quello che scrivo rappresenta solo il mio personale punto di vista,
non rispecchia l'opinione di organizzazioni di cui faccio o ho fatto parte.