hypothetical(?) GPL problem

Marc Eberhard m.a.eberhard at aston.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 09:20:05 UTC 2001

Hi !

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 08:39:57AM +0200, Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:
> Basically because there is no policy enforcing proper formats for
> attachments, and I'm nobody's boss to tell them what to do (quite the

Same here, I'm just a simple research fellow. And still I do that. And yes,
some of the mails in question came directly from my boss. What's wrong with
that? Why shouldn't I tell him the truth? He wants me to work efficiently
and I can't do that, if I waste my time converting some stupid formats.

> reverse). So if the company pays for my time, my computer and miscrosoft's
> crap and wants me to use it, I can't hardly refuse without either

Why not? I too got a computer with preinstalled Windows when I started here.
Well, was a matter of half a day to wipe the hard disc and install Debian on
it. Where is the problem? They were a bit surprised at the beginning, but
not more.

> convincing them or looking for another job (and my previous jobs weren't

I don't think so. You create your working environment to some degree
yourself. And most bosses rather have a motivated employee then a bored one.

Bye,
Marc

email: marc at greenie.net
email: m.a.eberhard at aston.ac.uk, web: http://www.aston.ac.uk/~eberhama/