Change for Caldera OpenLinux Workstation

Lars Weber me at lars.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 28 23:35:06 UTC 2001

  >> What might be better is a simple webpage with distributions
  >> categorized by the following criteria:
  >>
  >> a) Consists entirely of Free Software
  >>
  >> b) Free-Software-only version is available
  >>
  >> c) Can be turned into Free-Software-only without too much of a
  >> hassle
  >>
  >> d) Difficult or impossible to use without non-free software

  Lutz> This should include the way updates for packages are provided and
  Lutz> which tools are needed to add them to the system. As far as I know
  Lutz> even SuSE uses RPM these days put adding updated RPMs to the
  Lutz> system _not_ using yast could be a little bit of a problem.

Maybe better classifications would be:

  c) Includes non-free packages that can be easily removed

 and

  d) Uses non-free software as an integral part of the distribution itself

Gruß,
Lars

--
[ Lars Weber ]--------<me at lars.in-berlin.de>------[ GPG-ID: 1383B42E ]
+++ fingerprint: 44B1 1D23 DD53 E6B2 4AAB 4C36 0323 9141 1383 B42E +++