Change for Caldera OpenLinux Workstation

Hong Feng fred at mail.rons.net.cn
Thu Jun 28 11:30:23 UTC 2001

       Caldera has changed the license on its OpenLinux Workstation product
       for the newest version (3.1) to require one license per system the
       distribution is installed on. The company will provide a certificate
       of license authenticity it says it expects to find on each system
       running OpenLinux Workstation. From the ...

       What kind of coordinated action can be done ?

It depends upon how they defined the "certificate".  If it turns the system
to proprietary, then we need to criticize it; if the certificate is just
a means to offer better supports for their customers, and it does not
related with the freedom, then I think we have nothing to do with it.

I don't know what packages are contained in the distribution, many
distributions have packed a lot of proprietary software in the box, this
is what we need to criticise always.

Best,
Frederic

Hong Feng
Presisent & CEO, RON's Datacom Co., Ltd.
fred at mail.rons.net.cn    hongfeng at gnu.org
www.rons.net.cn