hypothetical(?) GPL problem

Marc Eberhard m.a.eberhard at aston.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 13:37:22 UTC 2001

Hi Alessandro!

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:04:47PM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> 	http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
> That proves you wrong.

Indeed. From the end of that web page:

  But we should not listen to these temptations, because we can achieve much
  more if we stand together. We free software developers should support one
  another. By releasing libraries that are limited to free software only, we
  can help each other's free software packages outdo the proprietary
  alternatives. The whole free software movement will have more popularity,
  because free software as a whole will stack up better against the
  competition.

I fully surrender. :-)

Seems that tactics and politics are more important then the original idea of
freedom for software... I trust RMS having thought about this for quite a
while, before suggesting to go along this way.

Thanks for the link Alessandro!

Bye,
Marc

email: marc at greenie.net