brainstorming: which formats to use and which to avoid

Xavi Drudis Ferran xdrudis at tinet.org
Thu Jun 14 19:53:10 UTC 2001

El Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:05:59AM +0100, MJ Ray deia:

> This sounds to me like an excellent argument for teaching them some
> mark-up language once, rather than being subject of the whims of
> corporate marketing departments who decide the product your company
> uses is no longer profitable enough to continue.  Then you get all the
> drawbacks of retraining with none of the planning.

100% agreed

> OK, this hasn't happened with word processing recently, but it could.

It has. I know people who sticked to WordPerfect until recently
and are still bearing the pain of Word and asking to "see the code".
And every new version of word is a minor but widespread retraining
nightmare.

You're absolutely right about the importance to introduce free
software in schools and colleges. One horrible case is that of the
UOC the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya. This on-line distance learning
university forces their students to use Windows and Office at home.
For more details see (in catalan, and outdated)
http://www.fut.es/~xdrudis/uocindex.html
In English and even more outdated
http://www.fut.es/~xdrudis/uoc_en.html

--