GPL violation? (was: Article: "Freie Software für Europa")

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Wed Jun 13 07:20:17 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:44:19AM +0200, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> But the main point of this writing is that it says on the enclosed
> CD: "Software und andere auf dieser CD-ROM gespeicherte Daten werden
> unter Ausschluß jeglicher Gewährleistung und ausschließlich zum
> privaten Gebrauch überlassen." (Software and other data stored on
> this CD-ROM are distributed without any warranty and only for
> private use.)
>
> The CD contains, among other things, GPL'd software (e.g.,
> Nautilus). "Only for private use" is a violation, isn't it?

To my mind it does violate the GPL.
I have sent LinuxComputing an E-Mail regarding the violation
on Feb 19th. I got no answer until todo.

They regularly call me on the phone whether Intevation
would like to advertise there. I informed the guy about
the viloation and ignoring of emails - he promised
me to forward these 2 issues.
However, that was almost 2 month ago now.

IMHO LinuxComputing looses a lot credibility showing
careless handling of Free Software issues and also
by not-answering emails.

Intevation will not advertise in LinuxComputing until
issues are sorted out and they demonstrate a competent
understanding of Free Software across the whole magazin.

btw: currently there is no magazin in this area that
fulfills all my criteria :-(
Hope this changes in the near future.

Cheers

	Jan