GPL violation? (was: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Article:_=22Freie_Software_f=FCr_Europa=22?=)

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Wed Jun 13 02:44:19 UTC 2001

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> There is an article about the FSFE in the German magazin
> "Linux-Computing" issue 7/2001 (not online at time of this mail).
> It is written by Georg and probably does not tell you much
> you do not know anyway about the structure of
> and the motivation behind the fsfe.

It did tell me something I didn't know -- that the abbreviation for
the Free Software Foundation Europe is FSK (caption of figure on
page 96)!?

> Fun point is the next page where you can take a test about your
> GNU GPL license knowledge (not composed by Georg).
>
> It is rather hairy (and I have scored only 15/16 points,
> because I missunderstood question 4.

Me too. ;-) I think question 4 is at least ambiguous ...

But the main point of this writing is that it says on the enclosed
CD: "Software und andere auf dieser CD-ROM gespeicherte Daten werden
unter Ausschluß jeglicher Gewährleistung und ausschließlich zum
privaten Gebrauch überlassen." (Software and other data stored on
this CD-ROM are distributed without any warranty and only for
private use.)

The CD contains, among other things, GPL'd software (e.g.,
Nautilus). "Only for private use" is a violation, isn't it?

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/
PGP and GPG keys: http://fjf.gnu.de/plan