European Lawyer network (was: ILIAS mix of GNU GPL with own terms)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Jun 3 11:26:43 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 09:09:14AM +0000, Jack wrote:
> Disclaimer: Contains legal-philosophical stuff which might be *very*
> boring to some people...

This is why we are starting to build a network of
lawyers which are interested in GPL bulletproofing
and other free software legal questions:

we need lawyers competent and interested in the subject like you to help us.

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Bernhard Reiter kindly wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:28:33PM +0100, home at alexhudson.com wrote:
> > > This is quite interesting. Can we expect to see a meta-GPL?

> > We do'nt know yet.
> > It has to be carefully discussed with competent lawyers

> I am afraid I do not think it's a very good idea to fork the GPL,

> The current version of the GPL is a wonderful work of art.

> It seems that the GPL is a legal hack also in the sense that it is
> abstract enough to be valid, i.e. enforceable independently from local law

This is also my impression, but I have heard other lawyers telling
me that there might be some dangers when the GPL is used by
companies in countries outside the USA.

There is no immediate danger, but we have to watch the subject closely.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)