European DMCA

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Mon Jul 30 18:53:28 UTC 2001

On 30 Jul 2001 20:14:31 +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > The problem is that, in practive it makes reverse engineering a crime.
>
> Will this imply that decoding protocols that flows over a network will be
> also a crime?

First, the standard disclaimer, IANAL.
For SMB, as is, I think there's no problem. Now if MS extends the
authentication protocol to make sure you're connecting from workstation
with a valid license, reverse engineering that might put you in jail,
because your work could be considered as "facilitating ... an
infringement of any copyright".
--
						Joao Miguel Neves