membership

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Fri Jul 27 07:42:46 UTC 2001

I do have a problem with the current closed constitution of the FSFE.

This is not a democratic system, but a system set up by a few self-nominated
individuals. As such it has no political validity.

Although I grant, that the current members of the FSFE are well-meaning and
are greatly contributing to the Free Software movement, they cannot represent
the Free Software Movement at large, since at least technically they only
represent themselves: there exists no political mandate.

I fear that many others, who would be supportive of the Free Software
movement, hold back, because they do not really feel represented.

I hear again and again the argument of hostile takeovers, and that may be a
valid one. Why is it then however, that anyone can become a member of the FSF
(in the USA)? Does RMS not worry about hostile takeovers?

I believe there must be other measures than such a closed society to prevent
hostile takeovers. For example, you may exclude anyone from membership, who
works for a company that produces proprietary software products, since there
would obviously be a conflict of interest.

Although a benevolent oligarchy may actually be more efficient than a
democracy, how are you going to be respected by the democratically elected
members of the governments you are talking to?

- Josef