BerliOS <-> FSFE relations (was: questionary - who developes FS/OSS)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 26 20:43:53 UTC 2001

Jörg,

rereading my already written angry answer to your mail quoted below
I have realised that there were several missunderstandings.
So I deleted a lot of it and try to get back to the positive things.

I welcome the dialog with you and BerliOS.

(I have left in the some explainations which are not meant to be
offensive. If you think some more points need clarification,
I can address them.)

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 09:39:05PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> >From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>

> >The webpages of GMD have different information:
> >	http://www.gmd.de/de/presse-archiv/pressekonferenz.html
> >	| Nun sind auch alle juristischen Schritte zur Integration
> >	| der GMD in die Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft vollzogen.
>
> Did you ever listen to the radio station of an occupied country?

This situation of the Frauenhofer and GMD creates some uncertainty,
a public statement from BerliOS might help.
It is hard for outsiders to understand the situation.

[ Missunderstanding one ]

> >> Right! At the moment we call "GMB Informationstechnik e.V. & Co. KG."
			           ^^^
> >> Nevertheless, we remain a non-profit organisation and we are not part of
> >> Fraunhofer!
> >>=20
> >> The change to the new name has become valid with 20.7.2001 with a publish=
> >ing
> >> in "Bonner Generalanzeiger" (Page 20). As I am replying to a mail from
> >> you send at 16.7.2001, you see, that your statements are wrong.
>
> >Okay, the Berlios is now (since 6 days) not part of Frauenhofer anymore
> >according to your information.

> I said that GMD is not yet Fraunhofer, you say that GMD is no more Fraunhofer.
> 		You seem to know more then I know!

Got thrown off by your typo and the rest of the paragraph (see above)
and somehow believed that BerliOS might be seperated from GMD
and had a new name.
Just tried to rephrase what I have understood.
Can you clarify the legal situation of the GMD then?
I obviously did not understand it.

[ Misstunderstanding two ]

> Did I mention your name?

I was refering to your statement implying
that Werner or any other person saying: "a group of free software
developers does not trust BerliOS" is not helping the movement.

As I am also a person who thinks that a lot of Free Software
Developers in Germany to not fully trust BerliOS,
your statement said something about me. I am just explaining to you why
your statement can be interpreted in an offensive way.

[ Back to constructive talk ]

> We had a very positive talk at CeBIT this
> year and you told us that we should co-operate. You pointed out, that
> BerliOS gives a positive impulse to the free-software/open-source community.

It does in principle and we should co-operate.
In my other mail (written and mailed before I did get to read this one)
I have had briefly mentioned two points which I perceive as problems.

> As you told us that FSFE would support BerliOS why didn't you contact
> us meanwhile? If there really are problems, we already could have done
> something against these problems.

Some of them were already pointed out in personal communication
but I (personally) did not get the impression (then) that they were taken
seriously enough.

Your appearance in this list shows that we can establish communication.
This is positive.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)