FSFE Finance

Reinhard Mueller reinhard.mueller at bytewise.at
Tue Jul 24 14:00:23 UTC 2001

Anders Lindback wrote:

> Independence and focusing on long term goals are more a state of mind

> and has nothing to do with how many members the organisation has.

Sorry, but it has. Please look at the mailing list archives of this list

and consider everybody posting a message was a member of the FSFE who had

to take part in the decision making process. I don't think any decision
would have been made till now.

> I find it a bit hilarious that Microsoft might become a Ptron (I could not
> find any restriction other thay paying the aquired amount to bccome a Patron)
> but that a university student who just write a some free softwware in her spare
> time can't become a member of the cummunity.

The FSFE is *not* the community. At least this is the way I see it.
And I think it is ok that anybody can pay money to the FSFE and become a
patron. That does not mean that this person or company would have any
influence to the FSFE. I am sure that if Microsoft says "We will give
you EUR 5000,- but then you have to do xyz" then the FSFE will not take
the money. But when Microsoft says "We will give you EUR 5000,- because
we want to support you" that would be fine with me.

--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project