FSFE Finance (was: Usability)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 24 09:48:58 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:07:03AM +0200, Anders Lindback wrote:
> Actually it's easy to solve but the current board of directors have
> shut the door to the best weay to get funding.

> Membership dues.

With good reason and after a long thinking.
The FSFE has to stay independent and focused on long term goals.

> I think there are several thousend people willing to join FSF Europe and
> pay a due of say Eyro 10 per year. It probably also exists  companies that
> are willing to pay - say Euro 100 for smaller and Euro 1000 for larger
> corporations - to call themself corporate membners of FSF Europe.

If you think the work of the FSFE is good, help us.
	http://www.fsfeurope.org/help/help.html

Sponsors are rewarded with public recognition.
(We are still setting this up.)

But there is no way to buy your membership to a community in the end.

> To make sure the orgnasizatriopn is not overrun by people who do
> not upholds the prinicple of free softwware I see no reason why
> the charter should not contain pragraphs that makes it possible to
> exclude such people and corporations from tha organisation.

You need criteria for this and it will be easy to bring FSFE
activities to a halt. A lot easier compared to the current situation.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)