Usability

Alistair Davidson lord_inh at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 09:08:35 UTC 2001

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:49:08AM +0100, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> > We need tests of more Gnome features, and of KDE and
> > GNUStep features (perhaps GNUStep less so, because its interface aims at
> > replicating NeXT's). We also need tests of new, experimental features.
> >
> > Would it be feasible for the FSFE to run these sorts of tests?
>
> > I guess it boils down to: could we afford it, and how would
> > it be to finding a person to help us?
>
> From my perspective we do not have the ressources yet to run
> or buy usability tests.

That's a shame. It's nice to have an answer to the question though.
Thought: maybe we could get a company to sponsor them (I'm sure IBM or
whoever would love the PR).

But yeah, we're a young oprganisation. I think the idea merits further
discussion, though.

BTW, what is our financial situation? I've never seen it mentioned,
beyond donation pledges.

> Other goals have a higher priority:
>
>         - There are Free software areas were no applications
>         exist at all. These gaps are hurting.

True. What plans are in place to correct this? Which "missing apps" are
considered to be hurting the most?

>         - Free Software is getting popular, we really have a hard
>         time to keep up with explaining it (to politician e.g.).

I agree that this is a problem, but one that requires comparatively
little in the way of monetary resources, as long as it's handled
locally. One of the nice things about organisations is that they're
capable of doing more than one thign at once :)

>         - There are great dangers to the current Free Software
>         developments which have to be fought on a political playground.

See my answer to your last point.

--
Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]
Rick's World: http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html