Fwd: Re: FW: i18n & .NyET

Jeff Davies jeff at llandre.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 06:15:39 UTC 2001

Subject: Re: FW: i18n & .NyET
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:14:04 -0400
From: Jeff Davies <jeff at llandre.freeserve.co.uk>
To: "Imran Ghory" <ImranG at btinternet.com>

> > Why not - the zip files, you will find are extremely small. Smaller
> > than a lot of "replied to " text that many folks fail to crop from
> > their messages. I could understand it if the file was 3 meg in size.
>
> Because the encoding could cause problems for those who get
> mailing list in digest form.

Look, I still don't understand. As I sent my mail from work, where there is
a firewall preventing me from using Netscape to my ISP for sending mail,
I had to send it through Netscape browser via Work's Microsoft Exchange
server. I was not aware of any problem sending attachments in this manner,
can you be a little more specific as to the problem. Was the encoding
UUencoded, or was it I guess 8 bit since you say this might cause some
 problem with digest form. (But I'm mistified as to what problem this might
 cause).

Anyway, with regards to any threat that Microsoft .Net might present, it
seems to me that nothing is offered over that which already exists in the
java world. (bear in mind most parser classes etc work with older versions of
the java class library and therefore work with Kaffee).

"Windows Forms" - seeems more or less like the "AWT" classes in java/kaffee
"ADO.NET" - seems to be "JDBC"
"ASP.NET" - seems to be like Tomcat JSP (java server pages) support.

"CLR - common language runtime" - this will be java runtime (RT).
".NET security" this is like the exact same security classes in java. All
this is handled by Tomcat.
"MSMQ -message queue" - OpenJMS.
"Distributed Apps & .NET Remoting" - this is just SOAP by the looks of it.
(ie XML inside HTML GET/RESPONSE).
"PASSPORT" - based around Cookies. (perhaps asymmetric key based value in the
cookie? -trivial in any case).

There will probably be (in addition to Java/Kaffee) similar classes based
around the libxml thing in GNOME, and yet more in KDE world.
This "technology" is actually bloody trivial. I can't see how any company
 will be able to cut it in such a way that it looks like they're doing
 something special here.

The examples from the ".NET Team":
1. Online Expenses
2. Online Bank
3. Online Shop?

Errmmm hold on a second, all the above applications have been around for
years and years without .NET, so what the hell new does it give you?
Personally I think the way to develop webapps is Apache & PERL/PHP & MySQL.
Just look at all the helpdesks/whole on line environments that keep popping
 up every day on www.freshmeat.com.

I think the whole .NET thing will be a bit of a flop, because it doesn't
actually give anyone anything not previously in existence.

Jeff Davies