[ox] Caldera Linux mit fragw�rdiger Lizenz

Kristian A. Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Sun Jul 22 17:20:56 UTC 2001

And Olivier Berger <oberger at april.org> gave word to the following thoughts:

>Anybody to translate this to english ?

Giving it a try, here we go...

<translation>

And Stefan Merten <smerten at oekonux.de> gave word to the following thoughts:

>Hi Liste!

Hello, list...

>Crosspost an die FSFE-Leute, die hier erwähnt werden.

crosspost to all the FSFE people mentioned here:

>Last week (11 days ago) Benni Bärmann wrote:
>> Laut http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-26.06.01-002/ wird die neue
>> Version von Caldera-Linux mit einer klassischen proprietären Lizenz
>> ausgeliefert. Natürlich gilt die nicht für die überwiegend große
Mehrheit
>> der Programme der Distribution, sondern nur für die wenigen
>> Caldera-Programme. Caldera hält es aber nicht für nötig, dies ihren
Kunden
>> auch zu sagen!

<quote>
according to http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/odi-26.06.01-002/ the new
version of Caldera-Linux will be released under a classical proprietary
license. Of course this one is not valid for the vast majority of programs
inside the distribution but just for the few amount of Caldera programs.
Caldera don't seem to be interested in telling this to their customers,
anyhow...
</quote>

>Ich habe das auf dem LinuxTag nochmal nachrecherchiert und auch die
>Leute am Caldera-Stand direkt gefragt. Sie haben die Lizenz jetzt so
>geändert, daß der Lizenzierungszwang pro Rechner nur für kommerzielle
>Kunden gilt. Dazu muß mensch wissen, daß Caldera sich in erster Linie
>an kommerzielle AnwenderInnen wendet.

At LinuxTag I checked this again and also directly asked the people at the
Caldera booth. Obviously by now they changed the license in a way that only
to commercial customers it's necessary to have a single license per
computer. It's important to know, for that, that Caldera mainly aims
towards commercial users.

>Damit haben sie wohl einem Protest die Spitze genommen, aber dennoch
>ist die Distribution natürlich damit keine Freie Software mehr: Sie
>darf nicht ohne Einschränkung weitergegeben werden, wie es Freie
>Software verlangt. Wenn das tatsächlich für die ganze Distribution
>gilt, ist das auch ein klarer Bruch der GPL unter der ja große Teile
>von GNU/Linux-Distributionen stehen. Das wäre dann auf jeden Fall eine
>Sache für die FSF - wenn die FSFE dem nicht nachgehen will. Und selbst
>wenn es nur für identifizierbare Teile der Distribution gilt, wäre zu
>prüfen, inwieweit Caldera hier den Geist Freier Software für eigene
>Profitzwecke über Gebühr mißbraucht.

Probably this way they took the thing most argued out of this situation,
but still the distribution of course isn't free software anymore, at all:
It must not be freely redistributed anymore, as it would be necessary for
Free Software. If this indeed is valid for all the distribution, this of
course would be a clear conflict with the GPL license which covers most of
the parts of GNU/Linux distributions. In that case, this would be an issue
for the FSF - in case the FSFE doesn't want to take care of it. And even if
this license only would be valid for seperated parts of this distribution,
probably it should be evaluated how much Caldera, here, are actually
abusing the spirit of Free Software for the sake if their own profit.

>BTW: Auf meine Bemerkung, daß diese Lizenz ja ein bißchen uncool wäre,
>fand der Mitarbeiter das sehr cool - wie sollten sie denn sonst Geld
>verdienen? Er fand das offensichtlich einen genialen Trick und zum
>Hinweis, daß andere Distributoren auch ohne solche Tricks Geld
>verdienten, fiel ihm nichts ein.

besides: After I mentioned that this new license is quite uncool, the
Caldera guy found that to be pretty cool - however else should they be
supposed to earn money? Obviously he thought this to be an incredible
trick, and there wasn't anything he had to say on the comment that other
distributors are also earning money even without this sort of tricks...

>						Mit Freien Grüßen
>
>						Stefan

Free Greetings, Stefan

</end-translation>

Translated this pretty quickly, hope I didn't make any mistakes too big. :)
Cheers,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink
-->GNU/Education<--

...meine seele flieht zurueck,
...bis wo vor tausend vergessenen jahren
...der vogel und der wehende wind
...mir aehnlich und meine brueder waren.
(hermann hesse)