Very Worried at MS .net

home at alexhudson.com home at alexhudson.com
Fri Jul 20 13:55:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:13:20PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > :-)  It is just a way to trick out firewalls; we will have a lot of
> > fun in the next years due to that "technology"
>
> Yow!  I hadn't "joined the dots" on this one and reached that obvious
> conclusion.  Is there an escape hatch to avoid this scenario, or are
> we now doomed?

Level 7 filtering stops it (i.e., a configured proxy). More and more
firewall development seems to be taking place at these higher levels - ftp
for example, out of necessity :( - so I wouldn't worry too much. I think
higher level filtering is going to become more common place in the future
too.

Cheers,

Alex.