User friendly Free Software Desktops

Jaime E . Villate villate at fe.up.pt
Thu Jul 19 09:51:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 10:22:43AM +0200, Josef Dalcolmo wrote:
> home at alexhudson.com said:
> > I personally think the Win2k install is very easy, esp. compared to
> > Debian. I would rate the Debian install as marginally harder than
> > Win95. Certainly, ...
> Of course Debian is not just an operating system, so one should probably
> better compare Debian with Win2000 + Office2000 + MS C++.

Hi,
I think you both (and others in this thread) have some very good points to
contribute to the improvement of Debian, but if you start making comparisons
with Windows you will loose me and most other Debian maintainers I know.

I have never ever been in front of a computer running Win2k. I might have a
vague idea of what MS Word is; in fact I might have even written a page or two
using it some years ago, but the only thing I've really used for typesetting
in the last 17 years is LaTeX and relatives.

So please, stop making comparisons and tell us what is it that you find hard
in LaTeX or in "dhelp" (a Debian package) for example.

Regards,
Jaime
<villate at debian.org>