Very Worried at MS .net

Alistair Davidson lord_inh at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 01:55:38 UTC 2001

home at alexhudson.com wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 01:10:27AM +0100, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> > .NET is a framework (VM, development tool, and standards suite) for
> > developing and deploying "web services"
>
> Not quite accurate - and this is why most people are confused. Ignore the
> marketing - .NET is the new Windows API. It provides a platform for web
> services, yes, but that's only one aspect of it. MS are pushing the web
> stuff hard, because it's a pretty new feature for them, but the other stuff
> shouldn't be ignored.

Did you hear that sound? It was comprehension dawning. I knew there was
somethign that didn't quite make sense about the whole thing. Now I get
it.

Incidentally, there's perhaps another reason for them pushing the web
services end of things- it immediately makes all us free software folks
run around like headless chickens when we could be doing something
productive.

--
Lord [INSERT NAME HERE]
Rick's World: http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html