User friendly Free Software Desktops

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Wed Jul 18 15:36:25 UTC 2001

bernhard at intevation.de said:
> What about Abiword and several other applications?

Abiword is insufficent for now (I tried). I need to be able to send a .doc to
some colleagues, who edit them, get it back and continue with the editing,
seeing where the changes came from etc.

Since they all know Word, I can't force them to use something else (perhaps I
could try if a free package had all the features we needed, but even
StarOffice did not yet work out for us).

Had we a great XML based document setting software (in the spirit of Lyx),
with good MS Word input and output filters, and an easy way to create new
document styles, right now, it might have a chance. I am afraid OpenOffice may
be too late and too little innovation. I did not see that Staroffice makes
much effort to separate content from form. On the other hand, that is probably
one of the reasons why MS file filters won't work well.

- Josef