User friendly Free Software Desktops

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Wed Jul 18 15:23:26 UTC 2001

lpenet at cubicsoft.com said:
> IMHO, people should not have to stay aware of Linux
> development to be able to configure simple things. Localization, for
> instance, is a nightmare for "normal" users.

Although my first Linux installation was sometime around kernel version 1.0,
I still think I am a "normal" user since I am not a developer (I am an EE).
Until today I haven't even been aware of a site called "freshmeat.net", and
none of the HOWTOs and docs that came with the latest Debian system seems to
point to it (I haven't read all of them though).

Sure, I could have signed up with a LUG. The really normal user would not even
know what the acronym means, and this is my point. Why should I have to
surround myself with experts, just to do an installation of an OS on my system.
I can install Win2000 in a couple of hours, then configure it to my tastes
within days. It took me about a month of work on my new Laptop just to install
all needed components (like PCMCIA) (the laptop does NOT have the latest
hardware, it is rather at least 2 years old in terms of hardware).

Please do not get me wrong. I appreciate the free software movement very much,
partly because I get something for my own use, partly because I share the
concerns of many to become too dependent on a single company.

I simply think that the current systems are still more designed by programmers
for programmers, but not for average users (given that it is often a spare
time effort, that is quite understandable). The average computer user is not
only interested in the applications he needs to do the job, but also in the
ease with which he or she can install and maintain the system. Part of this is
documentation which is up do date and says to which version of a system or
part of it it belongs.

For example I know, if I want something done at startup under Windows, it
belongs either into config.sys or autoexec.bat. On Debian I have still not
fully understood what do do, simply because the original docu describes an
obsolete method, or refers to a system used in other distributions, and
because instead of a good HOWTO there is a voluminous specification, which I
do not understand. Telling me that this is the SysV way of doing things, did
not help.

And why is there documentation in info, man pages, the USER's guide, HOWTOs,
miniHOWTOs, in the installation folders and probably more places distributed,
and only some of it is listed in the GNOME help browser.
Apart: do you think the average user knows how to read a .txt.gz file?

The problem is that most of us do not have the time to keep up with all the
info that is still necessary to run a Linux system. Therefore, it is perceived
as inadequate by a lot of potential users. This is more serious than having
the latest spiffy technology.

MS has understood this. People want features they can actually use without
becoming software experts themselves. For years MS has had succes with that,
even if users had to put up with a less stable and less well performing system
than Linux.

- Josef