User friendly Free Software Desktops (was: Very Worried at MS .net)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 15:06:27 UTC 2001

MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > If you want to develop your own, you don't need a mailing list.
>
> I meant a list about usability issues, not to develop a particular
> desktop.  There doesn't seem to be a general one and people are neatly
> factioning along project lines.  Is that healthy?

Our experience with usability mailing lists is really negative - even
when they are focused around a concrete, traditional-UI desktop.  They
are just full of people who have a million opinions but no empirical
evidence or even expertise to back it up. A usability list without the
focus of an actual codebase frightens me a lot.

Havoc