User friendly Free Software Desktops (was: Very Worried at MS .net)

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 14:24:09 UTC 2001

"Ludovic PENET" <lpenet at cubicsoft.com> writes:

> IMHO, people should not have to stay aware of Linux development to
> be able to configure simple things. Localization, for instance, is a
> nightmare for "normal" users.

I thought the l10n teams had done a good job?  Don't we just make sure
LANG is set (hopefully installation systems do this right for their
target country) and away we go?  Certainly, things like -ize just wind
me up, so I notice them.  I admit that I work in a fairly dominant
language, though, so I may be very wrong.