Translation of that German reply about LinuxTag

E L Tonkin py7elt at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 14:41:58 UTC 2001

Georg -

You've committed an elementary error here. If you don't mind:

I didn't write it but translate it. Don't reply to it as though I said it!
If you didn't realise that it was translated, I suggest you try reading
the entire email before hitting 'reply'. Otherwise, it sets a bad
precedent; what if somebody translates the Focus article? Would you reply
to them in the first person, too, quoting the article as though it were
their own words? A bad precedent, one that's likely to stop me translating
and/or posting any non-original content on this list for fear of
misrepresentation.

These lists are archived. There is no way for anybody reading this
archived message to know the authorship of the original mail, without
going back and reading the entire thread, a task which they may not bother
to do - they're more likely to assume that you as FSFE president wouldn't
mislead them. You've removed all indications of the actual origin of this
piece!

I hope you see why this is a problem for me,

em