User friendly Free Software Desktops (was: Very Worried at MS .net)

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Wed Jul 18 14:43:40 UTC 2001

markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk said:
> Normal users don't care how old the software is, as long as it's
> stable and does the job they need...

They do, when they want to install that great new software package, which
happens to rely on half a dozen libraries, that aren't included in your latest
stable distribution. Then one realizes that the price for stability and
relative ease of installation is that one can only use packages that are 1.5
years old.

The point is: it does not always do the job I need. Then again, I might not be
the normal user, since I use regularly more than 10 different programs.

- Josef