User friendly Free Software Desktops

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 18 13:29:09 UTC 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:14:38 +0200, Bernhard Reiter said:

> Gnustep oughtweights current MS and Linux desktop-projects by far.

Sure.  The drawback is that Gnustep is very much bounded to
Objective-C (which is an excellent low-level OO language), much like
KDE is bounded to C doubleplus.

> It simplistic approach _might_ make more sense then the approach of
> KDE or GNOME right now. I did not try it myself.

FWIW, _GNOME Desktop_ is an afterthought of the GNOME project which
itself has nothing to do with a Desktop; it was orginally planned has
a replacement of the Unix systems with components: GNU Network Object
Model Environment.

Ciao,

  Werner