Nomenclature // was Re: New associate organization of the FSF Europe in Austria

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 22:29:21 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at gnu.org> writes:

> Personally I also feel it is preferrable to not have the adjective
> form of the country name in there. But this is a matter of taste.
>
> Either way I considered this to be more or less a minor problem. If
> you feel otherwise I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

OK, I was just wondering.  You should note that the English form seems
nonsensical, though, at least to this native speaker.  There is no
need for the adjective form with the correct word order, if you so
wish:

        "Free Software Foundation Europe - Austria Chapter"
or
        "Free Software Foundation Europe - Great Britain Chapter"

still makes sense, even if it's less common than using the adjective.

Another point I'm sure has come up before, but I can't seem to find a
conclusion to the discussion: what is the basic unit for chapters?
Countries?  ISO or political countries?  Political at what level,
especially in federations?  Legislative area?  Communities within
Countries?