about BerliOS

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jul 15 21:17:27 UTC 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:28:24 +0200, Gregorio Robles said:

> 	Please, tell names: you're probably talking about Jörg Schilling.

I see no reason to talk about about a specific person; I don't think
this is appropriate.

> 	Schilly is the main maintainer of over 15 (fifteen) applications (the
> most famous one is cdrecord)

I didn't talked about coding but about philosophy, thus it is
irrelevant how much software Jörg wrote.

> 	_All_ of them have been released under the GPL. (free software, not
> Open Source)

The GPL has nothing to do with the Open Source or Free Software
debate.  It is just a contract.

> 	Is that a fault? I see more _personal_ aspects in your argumentation
> than points talking about free software. Schilly's contribution to the
> free software community is _very_ big. Please, take that in notice!

You named Jörg not I; however I can see no contribution by him to the
Free Software community; he is doing Open Source.  Yes, he is a great
hacker but that is not what we are talking about. Please read
http://fsfeurope.org/documents/freesoftware.html to learn the
difference between Open Source and Free Software.

> 	"Open Source" is what BerliOS got the money for. Yes, it's a real
> problem, that politicians get in panic when you tell them "free
> software" :-(. I hope you're working hard at FSF-Europe to change this.

Many (but not all) still talk about Open Source but I have never seen
one panicking over the term Free Software - try it yourself.

Ciao,

  Werner