About widi.berlios.de -> the authors respond

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 19:35:49 UTC 2001

Gregorio Robles <grex at scouts-es.org> writes:

> 	Widi != BerliOS
> 	We just use the BerliOS services.

That is possibly a mistake that will colour your returns.

> 	yes, I wonder, because there are more than 5200 developers that have
> "trustes" in Widi ;-).

That is a small fraction.  Do your answers look like they are skewed
yet?
> 	You can see it in our questionary... we always talk about "Open Source
> / Free Software!"

Is this flame-bait?  Still "Open Source" first, after the historical
order is recalled to you?

> 	There is even a question at the end "Open Source or Free Software?"
> where you can select "no entry", "Free Software" or "Open Source".

And surely you are more likely to get OS than FS by aligning yourself
with berlios?  For example, I, personally, am not inclined to complete
your survey having heard about berlios's associations with
questionable views.  Presumably even use of their services entitles
them to some rights over the data submitted?

> 	Our study provides scientific data. The interpretation of this data is
> a point that should be made by others (f.ex. FSFE :-)...).

Please make this data available, or at least inform us of how, when
and where it will become so.  For one, as a qualified statistician, I
shall be quite interested to run the rule over the returns, as well as
how they are (ab)used in debates to come.