about BerliOS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jul 13 11:56:29 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:28:24AM +0200, Gregorio Robles wrote:

> 	But I don't follow the relationships you want to make. I can only say:
> 		* BerliOS supports "Open Source"
> 		* BerliOS supports the propagation of "Open Source"

And we support Free Software.
The GMD actually refuses to tell people the full story behind Free Software.
It started about 1983 with the GNU annoucement and not with 1998
when open source was invented as a marketing term for free software.

> 	_All_ of them have been released under the GPL. (free software, not
> Open Source)

The open source definition by creation wants to express the same what
the four freedoms say. Expect from minor interpretation differences
if you talk about a software and its license alone there is no difference.
One word for the same thing.

The movements are different though and Jörg Schilling certainly positions
himself more in the "open source" movement.

> 	"Open Source" is what BerliOS got the money for. Yes, it's a real
> problem, that politicians get in panic when you tell them "free
> software" :-(. I hope you're working hard at FSF-Europe to change this.

It is not politicians. They have not problem using a different term.
The open source movement is convinced that their term hiding freedom
is better received.

> 	---> At BerliOS we do free software, because we believe in free
> software.

So why do you talk about "open source" then and hide the history of
Free Software and the GNU project?

> > Furthermore they have a list of 'Linux-companies' with an
> > 'importance  order' noone can really take seriously. Calling
> > themselve the 'Open Source mediator' they advertise proprietary
> > companies there.
>
> 	please mail us if you see such errors. Before criticize, please be
> constructive!

Was done several times and not heard.
BerliOS only seems to live for the politicians
as political pressure is the only language they speak.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)