Microsoft tries to prevent Free Software (Spiegel Article)

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnu.org
Wed Jul 4 12:59:39 UTC 2001

>> Examples of viral licenses:
>>
>> The new Microsoft EULA (affects licenses of other code that is not
>> covered by Microsoft's copyright).
>>

> This is a really good idea IMHO.

In my opinion it is not. We really should not waste time in this "we
are not viral you are viral" games. It's childish, or it may look as
such.

It's important to spread correct information instead. But it may or
may not appear as a reply to microsoft.

I think the GPL is "persistent" (which is a better word in my opinion
than hereditary or inherited). We should spread that word. The GPL has
long been attacked as "viral", not only by proprietary companies, by
the BSD world as well.

I'm willing to spend some time on that, which is a real issue. Any
suggestion on how to proceed?

/alessandro