Microsoft tries to prevent Free Software (Spiegel Article)

OP Mailserver user s96121272 at op.up.ac.za
Wed Jul 4 13:56:36 UTC 2001

Hi all,

There is a danger in responding too seriously to Microsoft's allegations.
We may appear to give credibility to their "Big Lie".

I think we should make their rhetoric humorous so that people laugh at them:

Eg Microsoft corp is not so much viral as saprophytic,
it makes nothing new, it infects and degrades standards
and absorbs unprotected freesoftware to make up for its own inabilities.

Microsoft FUD tactics can be dubbed "Bill's Micro-toxins"

And when people have had a laugh at biological analogies, point out the serious side:

Eg Secret code and secret back doors in the Windoze O/Ss mean you can never keep viruses out.

When viruses are written against freesoftware the community rapidly develops and freely shares counter-measures.

Microsoft and all its software exist for one purpose, to extract as much money as possible from as many people as possible.

Freesoftware is a charitable movement of volunteers who write and distribute their code for the good of all who might benefit.

Microsoft's monoploy is now threatened by charity. It is threatened because charitably written freesoftware works better than theirs.
Microsoft's answer to charity is to intimidate users and legislators to ban charity and protect monoploy.

Nick Hockings