License Distribution

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Jan 23 21:22:30 UTC 2001

On 23 Jan 2001 21:21:12 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> > BTW - I did have a look for examples of dual licensing. GPL & Artistic
> > seems to be *the* major 'dual license' example. I couldn't find a
> > *single* example of a dual scheme where one partner wasn't the GPL -
> > does anyone know of any examples??
>
> Some drivers in the Linux kernel are BSD or GPL: e.g. drivers/char/random.c
>
> Part of the Mozilla code is dual licensed: The Javascript interpreter
> and (iirc) the new mail subsystem.

Yes ;) I was trying to think of examples where GPL *wasn't* involved:
like MPL & Artistic, or something like that. I've not been able to find
/ think of any dual-licenced software that doesn't involve the GPL. A
lot of people seem to choose to dual-license to allow those writing
free, but non-GPL software, (such as the BSDers) the right to use the
code also - I can't find any examples of other dual-license systems.

Just strikes me as odd :)

Cheers,

Alex.