On philosophy, hierarchy of orgs, definitions, and the logo

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 4 21:24:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 09:04:45PM +0000, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> >
> > Alistair Davidson <lordylordy at mad.scientist.com> writes:
> >
> > > I think we need to educate the media the next time that a macro virus
> > > crashes all the mail servers. As we all know, the love-bug and Melissa
> > > didn't affect Linux et al.
> >
> > Indeed.  I pointed this out to many media and business organisations
> > at the time, but they didn't care: the line was similar to "who cares?
> > *We've* been hurt by this!" each time.
>
> I guess our job is to change that attitude.

:)
Indeed.
Though Linux is vulnerable to virus including macro viruses.
There are not many around and it is generally not a problem,
but GNU/Linux systems are not in principle immune against this form
of illness.

> > > Actually, I'm getting my hands on a Java book and coding, but it's the
> > > same principle. Goo luck.
> >
> > Care for a debate about the non-Free nature of the Java language
> > standard?  Is that something FSFE should comment on?  ;-)
>
> I don't care for a debate, because I agree. Java has to be one of the
> biggest issues around today, just after software patents.

Why?
Java the language can be implemented by somebody else.
He might not be allowed to call it java, but this does not matter IMO.

There are nicer languages around. I recommend python to you, if you
are coding on the family box...

> > Anyway, hope you have good luck with Japhar or Kaffee or whatever
> > (because you use Free software, yes?).
>
> I'm not using an IDE right now. Just MS-DOS edit.

Get vim or joe, they have syntax highlighting and work on
larger files. The PythonWin or Boa editors are also usable (actually
the same). :)

Hey, all free software.

> Yeah, yeah, I know. This a Windoze box, so shoot me ;) It's also the
> family box, so there's not much I can do. I'll be building a largely
> Free comp soon.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            (www.fsfeurope.org)