On philosophy, hierarchy of orgs, definitions, and the logo

Jeff Davies jeff at llandre.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 00:47:52 UTC 2001

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001, MJ Ray wrote:
> Alistair Davidson <lordylordy at mad.scientist.com> writes:
>
> > I think we need to educate the media the next time that a macro virus
> > crashes all the mail servers. As we all know, the love-bug and Melissa
> > didn't affect Linux et al.
>
> Indeed.  I pointed this out to many media and business organisations
> at the time, but they didn't care: the line was similar to "who cares?
> *We've* been hurt by this!" each time.
>
> > Actually, I'm getting my hands on a Java book and coding, but it's the
> > same principle. Goo luck.
>
> Care for a debate about the non-Free nature of the Java language
> standard?  Is that something FSFE should comment on?  ;-)

Actually the java language is more or less just pointerless C++.
RMS says that the libraries for 1.2 are implemented by CLASSPATH, and this is
relatively free, but 1.3 should be avoided.
Jeff Davies.

Apart from above caveat about libraries, GCC comes with excellent GCJ java
compiler which apparently can compile even bytecode class files into native
code!!