Logo considerations

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 17:41:01 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at gnu.org> writes:

> Postscript is good for using it later. But it is not the best format
> to have it or create it in - the xcf files for GIMP are just fine
> especially since they contain more information than the postscript
> files. Stuff can always be converted into postscript, the other way
> round is more difficult.

While PostScript might not always be the easiest format to create it
in (although Sketch is quite usable now), it's definitely the format
to have it in.  XCF files for GIMP are just bitmaps, so it's more
accurate to say that they contain different information rather than
more.  I'd prefer PostScript so that we can make everything from
*huge* banners down to tiny logos and have them all really crisp.

PostScript describes the shapes rather than just some dots and while
you can put a list of dots into PostScript, it's not the same as
having the shapes.  Stuff can always be converted into bitmaps, but
the other way round is more difficult.
--
MJR