Logo considerations

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 16:57:35 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at gnu.org> writes:

> First of all the stars _are_ being associated with the EU as they are
> using them as "their" symbol. So I agree with the people thinking that
> it would be a bad idea to use it. But even if we chose to ignore that
> and wanted to use the stars, we might even get in trouble with them as
> it is possible the EU would not want us to use them and forbid us to
> do so. That would do serious "logo image damage."

The EU do not own the stars as any copyright or service mark, so they
could not prevent anyone else from using them.  Do you really think so
many bureaux de change etc would use them if that were the case?  As I
said elsewhere, they use other formal imagery on their official
communications.  (Take a look at EP News, for example, which also
carries the symbol of the European Parliament.)

However, I reluctantly cede that the population at large seems to
associate the twelve stars with the predominantly western european 16
(?) member EU.  Why this is, I am totally confused by.  It's not like
EU bodies are the only or were the first to use them.

> So could you please do a big high quality version of the GNU & Europa
> motive without eyes with the map in the background, Anja? I'd love to
> see that... we can play around with the colors then, too...

Please please please draw it as PostScript if at all possible.  Then
we really can scale and play around with it (eg use horizontal
striping to get a black/white printer version).  Thanks.

--
MJR