Other countries (was: Re: FSF UK?)

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jan 2 10:53:06 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at gnu.org> writes:

> So for countries other than the beginning four, we will be talking to
> people, get to know them, start thinking about the legal aspects, but
> that is pretty much it for now - if you want to things to move faster,
> you might consider setting up an associate organization (see status
> update document) in your country or joing the organization that will
> probably become the associate organization.

Personally, I suspect that the time is right for a FS organisation in
the UK, as I believe it is second only to Germany for Linux
penetration.  The recent proliferation of Linux magazines and Linux
sections to mainstream computing magazines, with their generally good
coverage of the wider GNU project means that the communication
networks needed also probably exist.

There have been isolated projects concerning the use of Free Software
in various fields, but I don't yet know of any united organisation for
them.  I'll ask around and see if anyone here does.

> As far as the UK is concerned I wouldn't know whether any local
> organziation that would become associated... anyone feel willing to
> give an overview of all UK GNU/Linux organization together with an
> estimation of the "Free Software firmness" and "GNU awareness?"

The only other structures which I am aware of are the uklugs group.  I
think that LUGs here are reaching a fairly stable point and some sort
of central FS support body would be welcomed by them.  It may even be
possible for uklugs to become such a body, but that depends on their
philosophical viewpoint, I guess (I think we need GNU
"fundamentalists" more than Linux pragmatists).  Again, I'll ask.

--
MJR