Anja sketches

Peter Gerwinski peter at gerwinski.de
Mon Jan 1 23:25:02 UTC 2001

Hi, folks!

Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
> > The twelve stars do signify europe for most people.
> No.  The twelve stars is the symbol of the European Union.  [...]

As Claus pointed out, the stars are in fact older then EU and do
stand for the whole of Europe, but however:

> Using the EU flag in the FSFE logo will create an association between
> the FSFE and the EU.  The strength of that association will vary
> depending on where you are.  [...]
> In short, using the EU flag in the FSFE's logo will be widely regarded
> as a political move, even if not intended.  [...]

Okay, so the stars are out of consideration.

No matter what they really stand for: If we have to _explain_ our
logo to some people to avoid them getting upset, it is not a good
logo.

So for the moment we are left with the map of Europe and the saga
of princess Europa and the gnu ... er ... bull. IMHO there are not
many more other symbols that have a chance that _all_ Europeans can
identify with them.

Greetings,

    Peter

--