OT: https with text browsers

E L Tonkin py7elt at bath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 12:02:38 UTC 2001

>  >> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group_id=53
>  ks> Is there a way to use it with Lynx or Emacs-w3 ?
>
> Yes, go to
>         http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group_id=53
>
> I cut & pasted the link without thinking about the encryption. Sorry.

Assuming the problem is lack of ssl support rather than the
disinclination to use shttp, some illegality problem, or whatever :

you could recompile lynx with shttp support, which it is quite capable
of...

`lynx -version` of my last compile claims to be:

Lynx Version 2.8.3rel.1 (23 Apr 2000)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4, OpenSSL 0.9.6

Try http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jeffwong/lynxstuff/SSL/index.html
or http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/
for details and code.

or you could extend emacs w3... which'd be cool ;-p

em