Free Software Magazine

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Tue Dec 4 11:31:44 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:34:41AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Jan:
> > The FSM should be an instrument to communicate to others
> > rather then to ourselves.
>
> I think that the direction of the FSM is a matter for the FSM.  It seems to
> be a developer-orientated magazine, which is probably useful.  I do not
> share your belief that most developers have ample accurate information about
> free software.  Why do you think there is so much GPL FUD even from the
> ranks of GNU/Linux developers?

I doubt that directing the FSM towards
developers-being-ignorant-to-freedom-issues will have extensive
impact. All arguments and infos were already available or
even brought to their attention. Those not interested in our voice
will also resist the FSM.

My idea is that bringing FSM to the attention of users will
educate users and these will then ask the
developers-being-ignorant-to-freedom-issues why they are ignorant
to freedom issues. This is quite a difference for the
developers-being-ignorant-to-freedom-issues who managed to
resist the FSF friends but now face users :-)

I am not saying directing FSM towards developers is bad,
I just think the impact could be even increased for
the benefit of the Free Software movement.

All the best

	Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/