Smoothwall not free software

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Aug 30 00:26:47 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:36:41PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> There have been some additional events today: the 0.9.9 beta source
> has been released to the web site, although I'm not clear whether this
> is the entire source to everything on the ISO, as it seems very small.
> Perhaps someone can verify that and let us know?  Alex?

It is, and it isn't :) The source available on the website is not. However,
the link I posted to discussion@ is, more or less. You can't build an ISO
out of it directly (it doesn't contain *everything*), but it appears to be
the sum total of SmoothWall minus base distribution, so you could plonk it
on a RedHat fairly easily. It relies (run-time) on apache, dhcpd, et al, as
well as Perl - nothing particularly out of the ordinary. The C-compilations
are all very straight-forward too.

As you said, the conditions have also been removed. I think _technically_
0.9.9b is not GPl-legal just yet - the source isn't obviously available if
you didn't get my forward from Lawrence, for example - but, 0.9.8 appears to
be (the licence doesn't seem to be modified), and the willingness on the
part of the developers to correct these oversights seems apparent, so I
think it's now just a matter of working through with them all the fine
details. To be fair to them, I think they have been more concerned with
getting a good release ready (I notice 0.9.9 has slid again ;), and it
perhaps hasn't been getting the attention it deserves as regards licencing -
as I've said before, I've offered my help in any way I can to make sure
SmoothWall doesn't hit these problems again - I'm willing to spend what
time/effort it needs to ensure 0.9.9 is GPL and GPl-legal if the SmoothWall
guys ask for it, I don't think it will be a problem - everything needed to
make it compliant has either been done or is in the process of being done,
unless anyone knows any different?

Cheers,

Alex.